Happy September everyone! I hope that your summer was filled with lots of adventure! I'm not quite ready to say good bye to long sunny days and warm temps but I guess that's just how it goes here in PA.
I was on Pinterest and saw this pin that said "Stop the glorification of busy."
And I thought to myself, yes, this needs to be plastered on walls everywhere! Life is hectic, for EVERYONE. Whether you have kids you are running around to all of their activities or working a second job, it makes no difference. Busy is busy.
I've been realizing through conversations with friends, people have NO time for themselves. We have become so busy taking care of the kids and the schedules that there is no time left for "me". How can you fill someone else's cup, if yours is empty? You can't.
We ALL need to slow down. The dishes will wait and the dust and the laundry will too. Everyone needs to refill their own cup. How? Get creative! But in case you're too busy to sit down and think about it ;) here are a few ideas for you. (I thank Pinterest and a few articles I've recently read for these wonderful ideas.)
1) Redefine success. What does success mean to you? Working the most hours? Making the most money? Success should mean thriving. When we thrive, we are able to take time for the things that really matter but always seem to end up on the back burner. Then go for a walk and breathe in fresh air. Feel the sunshine on your face.
2) Set Boundaries. Take back control of your life; your personal life and your work life. You do not have to say yes to every single person and their every single demand. Being obligated to 5 events in 1 weekend is madness. Choose what is more important to YOU and the rest will go on without. It's true! Then sit in the grass and read a book or magazine!
3) Try to avoid burnout. (I said TRY!) Burning yourself out only means you have nothing left to give to yourself and to your loved ones. It also leads to stress which can in turn lead to anxiety and depression. You cannot pour from an empty cup. Now go refill you cup with whatever makes you feel full again.A glass of wine, a bath with too many bubbles, cartwheels in the yard. No one is judging you. Go refill your cup. Or the bathtub.
4) Create a self- care routine. This one can NEVER be said enough times or heard enough times. I do my best to work out 4 times a week. Some weeks its more and some its less. Yoga, running and lifting weights makes me feel great. It helps to relieve stress and I sleep better. Maybe you make time weekly for more yoga, reading, sleeping more at night, building things out of Legos. Oh the possibilities!
5) SLEEP! I struggle with this one. I stay up too late and then I get up really early and there is no nap in between to make up for the short hours I let my body rest. SLEEP = RECOVERY! Whether its from your workout or from your stressful day, sleep is something your body needs in order to function properly. The less you sleep the bigger the increase you have for health risks and increased stress levels. Now, go take a nap with a kitty or a dog or a Care Bear.
6) Disconnect. Put your devices down. When was the last time you didn't have your phone in your hand and you truly paid attention to the people you were surrounded by? Sadly, people won't always be here and those emails, games or texts will. Be present in your company and hear what they have to say. Then grab some Play Doh, smell it (it smells so good) and create something with your hands.
7) Act childish! In case you haven't picked up on what I've been putting down throughout this email, act like a child! Do cartwheels or skip down the block. Belly laugh at everything. Let your hair be crazy. Don't match your socks. Color - OUTSIDE OF THE LINES. Whatever it is that takes you back to being a care free and fun loving child, DO IT! Right now. The rest of this email will be waiting for you when you are finished.
8) Give back! You live in your community, and you are active throughout. Why not give back to it? It feels great to help other people, especially when you can see the change you may have made in someones life, big or small. Reach out to people and see what you can do to help out. Then get back to acting like a kid for a bit.
REMEMBER! Baby steps to the bus Bob. We try things out first. Maybe some of these ideas won't work for you. It is my hope that they do and that you are able to find some time to spend on yourself.
Welcome to my blog! Beware! I like to use vulgar language and sarcasm. They are like oxygen to me. You’ve been warned.